Want to access your AOL mail account on the mail application available on your Mac? With the help of IMAP or POP settings of AOL, a user can easily gain access to his account over different emailing platforms as well as the operating systems. You can set up your AOL mail account on Android, iOS, Mac, as well as Windows.
As it is clear from the title, this article will explain to you how you can set up or link up your AOL email account to the email account available on your Mac device. Once you link up both the accounts together, you can get your hands on the two emailing clients all in one place. Those who do not know the concept of IMAP or POP settings of an email client can get more information about it here.
What are the incoming and outgoing mail servers?
Before we go ahead with the discussion on setting up AOL mail on Mac, let us now go ahead with discussing the role of incoming mail server settings as well as outgoing mail server settings. Whenever you link up two email accounts, the incoming mail server settings play an important role by sending you an exact copy of the email that you have received in the actual mail folder.
On the other hand, the outgoing mail server settings come into action when you need to reply to those emails. Hence, knowing the Outgoing and Incoming mail server settings of an email client and AOL mail is no exception.
Know Also >> A Walkthrough for Beginners to use AOL Mail Features
Moving on, we shall have a look at how we can set or link up our AOL Mail account on a Mac device. We shall do this by using the IMAP and POP settings of AOL email.
Setting up AOL on Mac using IMAP
Since there are two methods to achieve it, therefore we shall discuss both of them one by one.
Here, we will take up setting up AOL email on a Mac device using the IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol). To configure the same, use the steps given below:
- Open the Mail application on your Mac device
- Click on the “Mail” option to proceed further
- And, from the given menu, choose “Preferences”
- Followed by this choose “Accounts” and select the “+” icon
- In it, you need to choose “AOL” > “Continue”
- In the given form, enter your AOL Mail login details and choose “Sign In”
- Next, you need to highlight it in the “Accounts” list
- And, then choose the “Mailbox Behaviour” tab
- Navigate to the “sent” panel
- And, ensure that the option “Store sent messages on the server” is not tick-marked
- Save your configurations by tapping in the “Save”
- This is how you can configure the IMAP settings in Mac for AOL
Moving on, let us now discuss the method to set up AOL on Mac using the POP settings. So, without further ado, let us learn another way to link up two accounts on an Apple device.
Setting up AOL on Mac using the POP settings
As we know that POP is another mail server protocol that allows users to configure the settings of one email client onto the other. Therefore, it is very important to know the configuration process.
- Follow the complete steps as given in the section above
- Now, click on the “Server Settings” when you see it
- Choose “Edit SMTP server list” from the Outgoing Mail Server menu
- Then, click on the “+” sign next to it
- Under the server name, click twice on the “Server name”
- Enter “smtp.AOL.com” when asked to enter in the Host Name
- Following this, you need to click on the “Agree” option to accept the license agreement
- Make the necessary changes and click “Done”
Do not forget to close the configuration window after completing these steps.
You can easily check the emails of your AOL account by directly navigating to the official platform of AOL. However, there is a simpler way to do it as well. If you have got an Apple device by your side, using its in-built emailing app, you can gain access to your AOL Mail account as well. Apart from that, you can also download the AOL Mail app on your device for quick access.